The Prayer Service (Length: 15
– 20 minutes)
The prayer service outlined below is conducted every week in Self-Realization Fellowship temples, centers, and meditation groups worldwide. It makes use of the two fundamental aspects of scientific prayer: thought and energy. First, thoughts of perfection and attunement with God’s help are broadcast to all in need. Then, through performance of the technique taught by Paramahansa Yogananda, healing energy is sent forth to those in need of help.
- Opening prayer.
- Optional: A brief inspirational reading from the writings of Paramahansa Yogananda and/or a selection from his Cosmic Chants.
- Brief meditation. Attune the thoughts to the healing presence of God, practicing the Self-Realization Fellowship meditation techniques if you know them. Then mentally pray deeply for all those who have requested the help of the Prayer Council. In addition, you may pray specifically for your loved ones or for divine aid in overcoming your own difficulties.
Concentrating the attention at the point between the eyebrows, visualize the vibratory light of God. Feel that it is the all-powerful Divine Consciousness that is sending those rays of concentrated healing vibrations through your spiritual eye to all who have requested prayer. You may experience a feeling of peace and a tingling or drawing sensation at the point between the eyebrows. In any case, know beyond doubt that God’s healing power is blessing those for whom you are praying.
- Optional: Following the meditation period, a short affirmation may be used, if desired. (Instructions may be found in chapter 5 of Paramahansa Yogananda’s book Scientific Healing Affirmations.)
- Practice the healing technique taught by Paramahansa Yogananda.
- Closing prayer for world peace.
Learn about Paramahansa Yogananda’s healing prayer technique